Last night I made up a new recipe using a pound of ground beef and leftovers I found in the refrigerator. Now this may not sound like news – and it certainly isn’t the first time I’ve used leftovers to create a meal. What is newsworthy is the outstandingly yummy result! Who knew that would happen? I expected it would be edible but was pleasantly surprised that is was such a big hit.
Here’s what I found in the fridge (measurements approximate):
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 1½ cup steamed zucchini
- ½ cup baked beans
- 1½ cup grated cheese
- 8 or 9 large corn tortillas
Here’s what I added:
- 1 lb ground beef
- Sliced black olives
Here’s what I did:
- Sauté chopped onion until brown.
- Add ground beef and cook, stirring often.
- Puree leftover steamed zucchini and beans with about ¾ cup water in the blender.
- Stir pureed mixture into beef and heat through (looks like hamburger in gravy at this point).
- Tear up leftover corn tortillas and spread a layer in the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan.
- Top tortilla layer with about half the meat mixture and half the grated cheese.
- Lay on another layer of torn-up tortillas.
- Top with rest of meat mixture and rest of cheese.
- Sprinkle liberally with sliced olives.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Let sit 5 minutes or so and then serve.